Thursday, January 8, 2009

ROOTED IN HISTORY!


What's your story? So what secrets are waiting to be discovered about the people who made you who you are today? Our roots influence us in ways we can't even imagine. Studying your family history actually lets you discover more about yourself....With online databases and research tools, it's easier than ever to start putting the pages of your family story together, preserving your heritage and passing it on to future generations.
Create a family tree.
You can easily create a family tree online with what you already know....Begin with yourself and add your parents and grandparents. Record each person's name, birthplace, birth date, death place and death date..If you don't know the exact information take your best guess...vague clues can lead to amazing finds...Family members may be able to help also...Go to ancestry.com and get started now....What a wonderful Christmas present this would be for the members of your family next Christmas...Keep tuned for more to come.....

4 comments:

Tami said...

I've been doing family genealogy for several years now, both my family and hubbys. Love the challenge just to find that next link in the family. Once you know one side of the family then you start to branch out in all directions....just that need to know thing. Love all the history that is out there. My moms side of the family came via the May Flower and she had a gggreat Uncle Joshua Reed Giddings who served with President Lincoln. It's a blast!

Jan said...

Hi, Sue! I absolutely love doing genealogy! I was thrilled to see your blogging about it. I wish that everyone would do it...even for a little bit. It is so rewarding to see where/how/who we came from. I could, well, and have, missed appts, dinners and laundry while I have been buried in family records....my family knows....Jan is doing genealogy? Oh...we're on our own!!!

Terry said...

Hi Sue. My uncle on my moms side has being doing ours for over 15 yrs. now. He gave all of us copies, all typed up that go back all the way to the 1600's - Germany.
My dad's side was harder. Records were lost in NC courthouse fire. Got as far back as my ggg grandfather.
I made copies of both sides, and have them ready to send to my twins. I know they will love it.
Terry

Debbies Doodle said...

I did a little of that.. found a family secret.. My great grandfather hung himself in the barn of our family farm because he was mad that the hired hands had lost control of the horses in the corn field when picking corn. I really didn't get much past that. I had to get on the phone and call my family to ask why no one has ever said any thing about that. Details like that are not published in the obituaries now adays. It can be very intersting.